The Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Awards (IRACDA) are K12-based postdoctoral programs funded through the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS). These programs are distinct in emphasizeing strong research and teaching mentorship for fellows, and encourage partnership and mentorship with undergraduate institutions that historically serve underrepresented populations in the U.S.
IRACDA programs have been impacting postdoctoral scholars and the students they directly teach and mentor for nearly 20 years–having supported over 600 fellows nationally. IRACDA programs historically recruit more diverse cohorts of postdoctoral fellows relative to other major sources of postdoctoral funding and support, such as the F32 postdoctoral mechanism. As of the most recent assessment of IRACDA programs and scholar outcomes, sixty-three percent of IRACDA fellows were women, seventeen percent of fellows were Hispanic, and nineteen percent of fellows were African-American. The partner institutions of IRACDA programs are committed to serving and promoting communities of scholars who remain underrepresented in academia, including those underrepresented due to ethnicity, age, and/or physical impairment.
Nearly three-fourths of IRACDA fellows continue into academic careers as professors, researchers, and administors. These fellows remain engaged in quality research and teaching at colleges and universities across the U.S. Regardless of the roles and careers fellows pursue, their experiences within the IRACDA training program provide world-class skills in research, pedagogy, and professional development and prepare fellows to contribute to highly skilled and increasingly diverse professional communities across the United States.
Current IRACDA Programs
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Stanford University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of California, San Diego
- University of California, San Francisco
- Emory University
- Tufts University
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota
- Rutgers Wood Johnson Medical School
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Stony Brook University
- University of Rochester
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Wake Forest University Health Sciences
- University of Pennsylvania
- Baylor College of Medicine
- University of Texas at Austin
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Virginia Commonwealth University